99 bottles of beer on my wall?? Man cave blog.

99 bottles of beer on my wall?? Man cave blog.
WELCOME TO MY MAN CAVE BLOG.... JOIN ME ON THE ADVENTURE!

Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Countdown: 95 bottle of beers left until College Football Season....

And I'm taking care of one right now.  Today I'm having Big Bear Black Stout by Bear Republic Brewery down in Sonoma County, California.  Long story, but I think I've had this beer before.... I used to have a dive company in Kona Hawaii, and one of my customers and I were talking about Kona Brewing Company.  Among other things, he was involved in raising grapes down in northern California and while we were talking he said there was a real good brewery tucked in amongst all the wineries.  A year later he made a return trip to Kona, and some return diving with me, and brought me a "care package" of a few bottles from the brewery.  I know it was a "bear" related brewery, so this has got to be it.

This is the darkest beer I've reviewed so far in this blog.  I can put my fingers behind a fairly well lit 5/6 ounce glass of this beer and not see them through the beer. It has a deep malty/dark caramel type of flavor.  For some reason in my mind there's almost a hint of mild raisin like follow-up flavor that I do not find objectionable at all.  I'll have to read up and see if they do any cask aging of this one, sometimes that'll do that type of thing.

This beer has won multiple awards over the year and is highly rated on several beer rating sites.  ABV (alcohol by volume) is 8.1% and the IBU rating is a 66.

  Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment